It looks like the promised Diablo 4 internal beta test is underway, and several alleged leaks have already surfaced online that seem to show glimpses of the upcoming RPG. While there are plenty of reasons to be wary of early internal test leaks (after all, things are likely to change), reports that the fantasy game will feature a smart loot system and prevent loot trading. high-end equipment have caused several discussions.
The video that surfaced on Reddit showing the game’s character creation menus was quickly removed again, presumably because it appeared to show a unique version code that could easily be traced back to the person responsible. However, another source reported that unique, set, and legendary gear, as well as gold, cannot be traded, with limited trade available on lower-tier items.
Additionally, the source says that Diablo 3-style smart loot is set to make a comeback. This puts a heavy emphasis on gear drops with the appropriate stats and affixes for the class you’re currently playing, rather than taking advantage of the entire pool of options equally. These leaks align with previous Blizzard interviews, where they suggested that the most powerful items should be the ones players earn for themselves, rather than being able to trade them.
These two topics have sparked community discussions on both the Blizzard forums and the Diablo IV subreddit about the topics. Advocates of smart loot say they appreciate the way it streamlines progression, ensuring that most gear has the potential to be useful to your current character. Obviously, this is especially noticeable for players who prefer to stick with a single class. Other players say they’re okay with smart loot, as long as it doesn’t affect all of their drops: Diablo 3, for example, racks up about 85% of item drops for its class, with the remaining 15% coming from anywhere. .
On the other hand, some players say that an increased opportunity to get items for different classes encourages them to play the game with multiple different characters and experiment. Finding a particularly strong drop for a class can tempt you to try a build you might have otherwise overlooked. If you don’t feel like it, the option to trade boosts the social element of the game and allows you to get your hands on a piece that suits you in exchange. As Redditor XAos13 says, “Smart loot makes D3 faster at the cost of being less interesting.”
However, there are certainly arguments against trading. Reddit user SpiritualScumlord states that “games with a trading economy are dumpster fires because they’re just botters and streamers hoarding all the good gear and inflating prices.” Others are wary of third-party sites that might seek profit by letting users sell their best gear for real money. In particular, Diablo 3 attempted to integrate such an option into the game at launch with its auction house, and it was such a spectacular failure that the leadership unanimously voted for its removal.
One segment of the Diablo community that has traditionally avoided trading, even in Diablo 2 where it is prevalent, are ‘SSF’ (Solo Self-Found) players. These are people who play alone and only use equipment that they find themselves. However, since Diablo is frequently played socially, most gamers seem to agree that SSF should exist only as a self-imposed play style, or perhaps a designated mode that could be toggled when starting a new character.
Diablo 4’s release date is still a long way off, so watch out for beta spoilers in the meantime. We may not be sure how loot will be implemented in co-op play, but we do know what Diablo 4’s level cap and campaign length will be. You can also get early access to the future Diablo 4 beta with a tattoo if you’re willing to get some series-themed ink work done as part of the ongoing Diablo Hell’s Ink tour.