News hardware iOS 16: 11 things you absolutely need to know if you have an iPhone
That’s it, it’s D-Day, iOS 16 is here! After several weeks of waiting, the new operating system finally arrives on our iPhones. On the program, many new features including a plethora of features. We summarize everything in this article!
The day has come! Today the final version of iOS 16 is officially released (7 p.m. in France), and in this article we bring you the list of the biggest novelties that you can find in this new version of Apple’s mobile operating system. We have already known for some time, iOS 16 mainly focuses on the lock screen and other than that, there aren’t many other visible changes.
iOS 16: everything for the lock screen?
Here is the list of the main new features that you will find in this new version of Apple’s mobile operating system. Each novelty will be accompanied by a brief description so that you can know what it is about.
- New lock screen : this is THE main novelty of iOS 16, the complete redesign of the lock screen. Apple offers us here for the first time a fully customizable lock screen, in which we can change the font and add widgets.
- Improved Notifications : this is also a big change, since notifications will now be displayed on the bottom of the screen. Some of these notifications may also be dynamic and display live content. The Uber Eats application allows you, for example, to follow the progress of your delivery live.
- Wallpaper with emojis : little more of this new lock screen, the possibility of creating a personalized wallpaper with emojis or even of choosing one which displays the weather conditions of your location live.
iOS 16: some new features for photography
- Copy and paste elements of a photo : if you take a photo of a poster with text for example, you can select the text and copy it so that you can paste it later in another application you want. This is one of the improvements made to Live Text.
- Live Text improvements : In addition to the above novelty, Live Text has also been improved to be able to recognize more elements of a photo such as breeds of animals or types of plants.
- Remove background from a photo : When you press and hold an item that appears in the foreground in a photo, you will be able to drag and drop it to move it to another app. Only the foreground element remains, like your face in a selfie, and the rest disappears.
- Simple stickers from photos : If you drag an item from which you have removed the background (using the technique above) and put it in a conversation of a messaging application, it will be sent as a sticker.
iOS 16: new features in spades
- New Isolation Mode : This mode, when activated, blocks message attachments, blocks FaceTime calls from unknown people, disables navigation items, dismisses shared albums, disables connections to other devices and disables invitations from Apple services.
- Better focus modes : these are more customizable and will allow you to configure additional options for each application. This will have to be programmed separately by the developers of each application.
- Battery percentage : In iOS 16, you can again enable the battery percentage to appear in the top bar in small (not available on all iPhones).
- iMessage improvements : you can finally edit your messages and cancel others if you regret what you wrote. It also integrates with SharePlay.
We could also have mentioned the improvement of Books, Safari, Apple Wallet, Apple CarPlay, or even, but the list would have been too long. As we explained to you above, the new features mainly affect the lock screen and the Photos application.
Which devices are compatible with iOS 16
As you probably suspected, not all iPhone models will be able to receive this update. In fact, it concerns all models of the smartphone from the iPhone 8.
- iPhone 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max
- iPhone SE 2020 and SE 2022
- iPhone 13, 13 mini, 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone X, XR, XS and XS Max
- iPhone 8 and 8 Plus
iOS 16 has therefore been officially available since 7 p.m. in France on the iPhones listed above. However, if you do not receive the update notification, you will have to wait a little longer, since it is possible that the latter will take a little longer to be deployed.