Surfshark VPN is a well known and respected service. For those of you who have wondered what exactly sets this provider apart from the myriad of other options out there, we’ve put together this guide to tell you everything you need to know.
Below you will find ten of the most frequently asked questions about Surfshark with clear and direct answers to all of them. VPN services can seem daunting and confusing at first, but this should help shed light on everything that makes Surfshark VPN unique.
From an overview of VPN costs to comparisons with NordVPN, this is your one stop shop for this VPN provider.
Surfshark VPN FAQ:
Is Surfshark VPN reliable?
Yes, Surfshark is a reliable and trustworthy VPN. With a zero logs policy, you can be sure that you are not monitoring your activities or selling your data. It remains a popular choice among Internet users as it is one of the best VPN services available today.
Where is Surfshark VPN based?
Surfshark’s headquarters are located in the Netherlands. The specific address is Kabelweg 57, 1014BA Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Is Surfshark VPN better than NordVPN?
Surfshark is actually a subsidiary of Nord, but the two offer distinct services that have unique strengths and weaknesses when compared to each other. Here are some key comparison points:
- NordVPN has 5,308 servers, while Surfshark has around 3,200.
- NordVPN’s servers span 60 countries, while Surfshark’s span 65 countries.
- NordVPN allows you to have up to six simultaneous connections, while Surfshark allows an unlimited number of connections.
- Surfshark offers a free 7-day VPN trial, while NordVPN does not have a free trial.
- Surfshark’s most affordable pricing plan is $2.30 USD / £1.99 GBP per month, while NordVPN’s most affordable pricing plan is $3.69 USD / £2.89 GBP per month.
- Both providers use the WireGuard, OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPsec protocols.
- Both providers have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Opinions about which is ‘better’ will vary depending on your needs. If you want the provider with the most VPN servers then NordVPN is the way to go, but if you need a cheap VPN then Surfshark will be better for you.
Is Surfshark VPN free to use?
Yes, but only for seven days as a free trial. After this period, you will need to choose one of the following payment plans in order to continue using their services.
- A month of Surfshark VPN will cost $12.95 USD / £10.69 GBP.
- One year of Surfshark VPN will cost $59.76 USD / £52.76 GBP, or $3.99 USD / £3.29 GBP per month.
- Two years of Surfshark VPN, will cost $59.76 USD / £50.16 GBP, or $2.49 USD / £2.09 GBP per month (although this is only for the first year, after that you will be billed annually)
Is Surfshark VPN illegal?
The answer to this question will vary depending on where you live in the world. In the US or UK, it’s completely legal to use Surfshark or any other VPN (common misconceptions notwithstanding). However, if you are reading this from another region, it will be worth checking your local laws.
Does Surfshark VPN work with Netflix?
If it does. It is a good VPN for streaming. If you are using it and find that you cannot access Netflix, it is most likely that Netflix has blocked the particular server you are trying to connect to. In cases like this, you’ll just have to switch to another server until you find one that hasn’t been blocked (which shouldn’t take long).
Can websites tell if you are using Surfshark VPN?
If you can. However, this will not be the case for all websites. While some of them will have identified the VPN IP addresses and will block them because they don’t want you to access their sites with a VPN enabled (for whatever reason), many of them won’t. In fact, even if you find a website that knows what it’s doing, switching servers should be enough to get in and hide the fact.
How many devices can you use with Surfshark VPN?
You can use an unlimited number of devices with Surfshark. Not many VPN providers allow you to do this, so it’s definitely one of the service’s biggest strengths.
When was Surfshark VPN released?
Surfshark first entered the VPN arena when it launched in 2018.
What is the Surfshark VPN kill switch?
Surfshark uses a kill switch that cuts your internet connection in case the VPN goes down for even a second. What this means is that you don’t need to worry about any of your private data slipping into the hands of your internet service provider during a momentary VPN flicker.
If you want to learn more about any other VPN providers, we also have similar guides on ExpressVPN and PureVPN which should be a useful reference point.